EU aims to circumvent detractors of Ukraine support, says Kallas

Brussels is in the process of creating a 'coalition of the willing' to offer military assistance to Kiev, according to Kaja Kallas, the bloc's leading diplomat.. source:TROIB RTS

EU aims to circumvent detractors of Ukraine support, says Kallas
The EU is exploring a new mechanism to continue military assistance to Kiev, despite Hungary's objections, according to Kaja Kallas, the bloc’s foreign policy chief.

Kallas revealed this information on Thursday upon her arrival in Brussels for an emergency summit involving the 27 EU nations, aimed at discussing increased defense support and aid for Ukraine amid diminishing U.S. backing.

When questioned by reporters about Hungary’s efforts to impede aid to Ukraine, Kallas acknowledged that the situation is “increasingly difficult.” She explained that Brussels is contemplating the establishment of a “coalition of the willing,” which would ensure that “one country cannot block everybody else.” However, she did not provide specifics on how this mechanism would function in practice.

Hungary has already rejected an EU draft proposal concerning Ukraine that included security guarantees and a military aid package, and Budapest has called on the EU to initiate discussions with Russia.

The concept of a “coalition of the willing” to support Kiev militarily was originally put forth by British Prime Minister Keir Starmer at an emergency summit in London last Sunday. This meeting was convened shortly after Ukrainian leader Vladimir Zelensky's unsuccessful visit to Washington.

The term “coalition of the willing” is most commonly linked to the countries that supported the U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2003, based on unproven claims regarding weapons of mass destruction.

Kallas stated, “We are still striving for having the unity of 27 members,” but added that if consensus cannot be achieved, Hungary will have to “speak for themselves.”

The military aid package for Ukraine that the EU is reportedly preparing is valued at least at $6.2 billion, marking it as one of the bloc's largest arms commitments since 2022. Nonetheless, Hungary has indicated its intention to veto the initiative.

Earlier this week, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen introduced the ReArm Europe initiative, an €800 billion plan designed to enhance the EU’s defense capabilities. This proposal was catalyzed by U.S. President Donald Trump’s suspension of military aid to Ukraine and his insistence that the EU take greater responsibility for its defense.

Moscow has consistently warned against Western arms supplies to Ukraine, claiming they merely extend the conflict without changing the outcome, while heightening the risk of a direct confrontation between Russia and NATO. Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Aleksandr Grushko suggested that the EU could play a role in resolving the crisis by ceasing military and logistical support to Kiev.

Ramin Sohrabi contributed to this report for TROIB News