Trump delays decision on TikTok agreement

The president expressed concern about TikTok's future, stating, “We do not want TikTok to ‘go dark.’”

Trump delays decision on TikTok agreement
President Donald Trump announced on Friday that he plans to sign an executive order to extend the deadline for reaching a deal that would prevent a nationwide ban of TikTok by an additional 75 days.

In a message posted on his Truth Social platform, the president stated that his administration “has been working very hard on a Deal to SAVE TIKTOK, and we have made tremendous progress.” He also noted that the deal “requires more work to ensure all necessary approvals are signed,” adding that his administration aims to work with China to finalize the agreement.

“We do not want TikTok to ‘go dark,’” Trump wrote.

This announcement comes just one day before Trump's self-imposed deadline of April 5 for securing a TikTok deal. A law enacted on January 19 mandates that TikTok must sever ties with its Beijing-based parent company, ByteDance, or face a potential ban. Trump signed an executive order on his first day in office to delay the enforcement of this law by 75 days.

Congress had passed legislation last year demanding that ByteDance relinquish control over TikTok’s algorithm and divest most of its financial stake in the platform due to concerns regarding Chinese government influence over the company.

There has been consistent apprehension in Washington that TikTok, due to its connections with ByteDance, could serve as a means for the Chinese government to exert influence over American users, especially given the app’s significant popularity—reportedly, more than 170 million Americans use it monthly. Officials from both political parties are concerned that Beijing could leverage the platform to disseminate propaganda and surveil U.S. citizens.

Despite these concerns, Trump, who attempted a TikTok ban during his last presidency, diverged from the prevailing Washington viewpoint about the app last year. He opposed the TikTok ban bill introduced in the spring and told a conservative influencer last summer that he would “never ban TikTok.” Trump attributed some of his campaign's success with younger voters in last year’s election to the app.

In a bid to win favor with Trump ahead of the initial deadline, TikTok sponsored one of his inauguration parties. Following a brief period of uncertainty just before Trump's inauguration, TikTok expressed gratitude to its users, crediting the incoming president for the app's revival. TikTok CEO Shou Zi Chew was also given a prominent seat at the inauguration ceremony.

In his recent post, Trump mentioned the tariffs he imposed on China earlier this week, labeling them “the most powerful Economic tool, and very important to our National Security!” Given that the Chinese government has instituted export controls on TikTok’s algorithm, any deal between TikTok and U.S. companies would likely require their approval. Trump hinted that tariffs might be leveraged to persuade Beijing to approve a deal.

The White House remained optimistic leading up to the deadline that a TikTok agreement would be reached. On Thursday, Vice President JD Vance told Fox News that negotiations were “in a good place” and that a deal “will come out before the deadline.”

Trump didn’t specify which U.S. firms or investors might participate in a TikTok deal. Last month, software giant Oracle, which has an existing data-sharing arrangement with TikTok, was in advanced discussions with the White House for a potential agreement that would likely allow ByteDance to retain some control over TikTok’s algorithm. However, such a deal might conflict with the law, and neither Congress nor other stakeholders would have strong grounds to contest it.

Other potential bidders reportedly include Amazon, Walmart, and the investment firm BlackRock.

James del Carmen for TROIB News

Find more stories on Business, Economy and Finance in TROIB business