EU’s Top Diplomat Says NATO Will ‘Survive’ Trump

NATO will continue to exist despite the pressures from US President Donald Trump, according to EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas. However, she cautioned that some member states may need to make challenging decisions to achieve the necessary...

EU’s Top Diplomat Says NATO Will ‘Survive’ Trump
NATO will continue to exist despite the pressures from US President Donald Trump, according to EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas. However, she cautioned that some member states may need to make challenging decisions to achieve the necessary defense spending levels.

In a Monday interview with Spanish daily El Mundo, Kallas was asked if “NATO [will] survive Trump’s term.” She expressed confidence, saying, “I’m sure. It’s a strong alliance that’s alive and well.” She also noted that member nations have committed to spending at least 2% of their GDP on defense by 2024, a target many have yet to meet.

“I hear the problems some countries are having, but I also think it’s illusory to get out of this situation without making difficult and unpopular decisions,” she stated, referring to her time as Estonia’s prime minister when the country increased taxes.

In response to inquiries about why the EU does not offer direct subsidies to those falling short in defense spending, Kallas explained that the bloc must consider the needs of both highly indebted nations and those that contribute significantly to the EU's budget. To facilitate this, the EU has implemented “relief measures in the fiscal rules to give member states more room to operate,” which could allow countries various options to boost their defense budgets.

Since his first term, Trump has been urging European NATO members to enhance their defense expenditures. Although the alliance’s members have agreed to reach a 2% spending goal, Trump suggested in February that they should think about spending as much as 5% of their GDP on defense. Last month, he warned: “if they don’t pay, I’m not going to defend them.”

NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte echoed Trump’s demand for European members to increase their defense spending.

NATO leaders maintain that the increase in military spending is necessary to deter Russia amid the ongoing conflict in Ukraine. Some officials have indicated that Moscow might consider launching a full-scale assault on the US-led alliance in the coming years.

Russian President Vladimir Putin has dismissed such speculation as “nonsense,” asserting that Moscow has no interest in pursuing that path.

Max Fischer for TROIB News

Find more stories on Business, Economy and Finance in TROIB business